Living in Arizona, we don’t have too many indoor recess days. Ours more or less are a handful of rainy days throughout the school year and in the beginning of the school year, when the temperature is too high outside that we are required to keep the kids inside. I’m always looking for new and fun ideas to have ready to go when these days do arise. I’m sharing 20 indoor recess ideas.
20 indoor recess ideas
- Play dough – you can never go wrong with play dough. Here’s my favorite homemade recipe I use.
2. Go Noodle – get those kiddos up and moving getting all those wiggles out!
3. Puzzles – good ‘ol fashion puzzles. Such good work for their brains. Goodwill is my favorite place to find them!
4. Art for Kids Hub– I’ve been using art for kids hub for years now. I even do it a few times a week at home during the summer with my ow kids. I can’t say enough good things about his family!
5. Rainy day bingo – Bingo is always a HUGE hit with my kids. Play with a large group or a small group.
6. Hop scotch- Let the kids get up and moving playing indoor hop scotch.
7. Kahoot – tons of different possibilities here!
8. Cosmic Yoga – we LOVE LOVE LOVE cosmic yoga! I use this all of the time!
9. Minute to win it games – Make a tub of items that you’d need to play the games so you’re always ready! Here are a few ideas I’ve shared in the past.
10. Make a kid friendly dance list and have a dance party or freeze dance!
11. Building blocks – these Melissa and Doug wooden blocks have lasted me forever and are still in fantastic shape.
12. Adventure To Fitness – This a fantastic one that takes you on fitness adventures!
13. Coloring books- You can never go wrong with coloring books.
15. Legos – I’m all about hand me downs and finding them at garage sales!
16. Play free choice centers
17. Balloon volleyball – blow up a balloon, make a line on the floor with some tape for the net and play volleyball!
18. Watch a show – Our favorites are Sid the Science Kid, The Magic School Bus and Super Why
19. Ipads – play educational games on iPads or even Chrome books if you have them available.
20. Play a game – Hot Potato, Telephone, Simon says, Who’s Missing or Head’s Up Seven Up are our favorites.
Do you have any other fun indoor recess ideas you’d add?
See you next time!